APG November and December Calendars
What is the Alternative Peer Group (APG)?
The mission of There is No Hero in Heroin Foundation (TINHIH) is to develop the first/only Alternative Peer Group for high school age kids in the Las Vegas community.
Introduction – The Problem
- 10% of youth 12-17 are current substance users
- By 12th grade, 65% have experimented with alcohol
- 4 million adolescents needed treatment for alcohol dependence
- 1 million adolescents needed treatment for legal and illegal drug use
- Most prevalent cause of teen morbidity and mortality in US
“Market Study.” State of Recovery High Schools: 2016 Biennial Report. The Association Of Recovery Schools, 2016. Web. 08 Nov. 2016
Alternative Peer Groups (APG)
- The Alternative Peer Group model was created to address the emotional, psychological, spiritual and social needs of teens struggling with substance abuse issues
- This unique treatment model integrates the important peer connection with sound clinical practice through intervention, support, education, accountability and family involvement.
APG’s – The Solution?
Motivation: Can the same relationships that initiate and support use and dependence prove effective in facilitating recovery?
Program: Recovering teens attend self-help groups with sober recovering peers.
Requirements: Completion of a substance abuse treatment program, a minimum of two months’ sobriety, parental permission if less than 18 years old, agreement to a behavioral contract stressing integrity and commitment to the program, especially attendance. Parent participation is required. Each APG is led by a certified counselor.
Call to Action- you can help this initiative by:
- Monetary donations
- “In Kind” donations for services and/or items
- Volunteer your time to a forgotten generation! Children may be 20% of our population, however they are 100% of our future!